Do you have a home office or work from home? Follow these electrical safety tips to keep you and your home safe from electrical hazards.
Avoid overloading outlets
Most of the general outlets around your house will be on a circuit rated for 15 amps. Be sure you know what is connected to the entire circuit before your plug in your home office equipment to avoid overloading.
Unplug appliances when not in use to save energy and minimize the risk of shock or fire
Regularly inspect electrical cords and extension cords for damage
If you do need an extension cord, be sure it is a three-wire cord properly rated for the current your equipment will draw. Never use the small, two-wire extension cords as they are insufficient to handle the load and lack a safety ground wire.
Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis
Extension cords are intended for temporary use only. If you find that you need power delivered at a distance away from your wall outlet, consider using a surge protector instead.
Never plug a space heater or fan into an extension cord or power strip
Never run cords under rugs/carpets, doors, or windows
Plug in smartly. Make sure cords do not become tripping hazards
Also make sure you are not overloading your circuits. Overloading a circuit overheats the wires and can ignite the structures around them. The circuit breaker protecting that circuit on the main panel may trip before a fire starts, but not always. A breaker that trips frequently is your warning sign that you probably have an overload or another dangerous condition. If you can’t determine how to rearrange the distribution of electricity safely, contact one of Northern Pines' qualified electricians.
Keep papers and other potential combustibles at least three feet away from space heaters and other heat sources
Make sure you use proper wattage for lamps/lighting
Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Test them monthly, change batteries yearly, and replace the unit every 10 years
Wherever you work, it’s always important to be safe.